Sustainable Ways to Enjoy the Festive Season
It is easy to get caught up in the commercialism of Christmas, but this year we're having a Green Christmas and so can you. If you'd like your festive season to be just a little more sustainable then here's a few easy tips...
When buying a gift for someone, think about whether they will actually use it. A 'virtual gift' might be a better option. Things like subscriptions, ethical or virtual green gifts and memberships are all 'value-added' gifts while also saving on all that wrapping paper and leaving plenty of room under the tree!!
The fastest way to reduce on shopping stress is to arrange a Kris Kringle amongst your family. Each person only buys for one other, that way the gift can have more thought and effort put in.
Before buying your gift think about:
- buying locally from local artists, growers and craftspeople
- buying from local markets and antique shops to get pre-loved treasures
- consider homemade gifts, something made using your own time and skills
- buy from Oxfam and similar fair trade stores, where you can support developing nations
- give a homemade voucher, perfect for people who have everything- a voucher to make them lunch, give a massage...
- give a virtual gift- voucher, membership, cinema tickets...to use in the year ahead.
All of the above suggestions aim to reduce the environmental impact of buying a gift, whatever it ends up being.
Home from Green Christmas
Green Gift Wrapping . Ethical Gifts
Home | Site Map | Site Policies | Contact Me